Jan 2009

Static ElectricityA Shocking Experience

This is not so much a thought as it is a rant about static electricity.

I work at an office, with fairly comfy fake leather chairs. But when I wear a certain pants/shoe combination, sitting there apparently means I'm charging myself with static electricity. And, for some reason, my desk isn't grounded despite the amount of metal on it. But the doorknob is.

So, every time I want to leave the office, to get a glass of anything or go to the toilet for example, I get a shock. One that can, depending on my charge, be quite painful and annoying. The worst thing is that it usually happens unexpectedly, hurts and is starting to make me afraid of the doorknob.

It makes me wonder if there's a word for it: the fear of doorknobs.