Sometimes you find odd things on the internet, like This particular thing , speaking about marketing ploys by a game company that included (but were not limited to):
- Offering money to soon-to-be parents to name their offspring Turok, the main character of a game series.
- Paying 5 gamers(people) to legally rename themselves Turok for 1 year.
- Offer a family to pay for funeral costs, to put a small billboard for Shadowman 2 on the gravestone.
- Make big news out of a gamer waiting the longest for a game release, without actually having someone there.
This got me thinking though. What crazy marketing ploys could I come up with to make products I know more known...
Let's start with the obvious.
Doubtful Marketing Ideas
- "Wee for a wii!" A public pissing contest for the Nintendo Wii.
- Some company paying the Oxford Dictionary to have "door" revert to "portal".
- Creating a 'car-jacking' contest for one of the many GTA type games.
- Making a family change their surname to "Sims"
- Hiring hackers to make something dangerous (let's say an intelligent bomb) out of components from a console.
Terrible Marketing Ideas
- A 'murder competition' for the next Hitman/Manhunt game, for who can kill someone else the most original. Winner gets a lifetime supply of X.
- Offering a cameo in a famous game for the most creative suicide, captured on camera. Awarded posthumously, of course.
- Sneakily hiring thugs to steal the competing console out of people's home.
- Making a "We will make you our bitch" campaign for a mediocre game.